Juho Lindman, Gothenburg University
The early hype around blockchains – including buzzwords and overblown expectations – played a central role in the early innovation activities which legitimized blockchain.
The overblown expectations and hype surrounding blockchain make it tricky to understand what has actually been delivered.
- (Public) blockchains are disrupting the public sector all around the world
- It is impossible to build successful blockchain applications for the public sector
- There is one single obvious way to apply block chain technology in the public sector
- If you build it, users will come blockchain
- If it uses blockchain, it needs to be big and disruptive
- Nobody knows how blockchains are implemented
- Blockchain is a generic technological solution, similar to AI
- We are not technology people and should not care about detailed design decisions such as blockchain
- The results of blockchain projects contribute to blockchain knowledge
- Users want to know that services are based on blockchain